I co-host the weekly podcast ‘Never Rewrite‘.
Papaya - Principal Software Engineer
July 2022 - present
Worked across teams to create 'real-time bot', a bot that detects if a bill is payable before the user submits the bill. This decreases the amount of time our operations team spends trying to pay bills that won't be accepted by a provider and gives immediate feedback to customers, improving customer experience.
Led an engineering-wide system scalability investigation, resulting in a variety of improvements across a variety of services that would have failed as our product was exposed to higher traffic and data storage:
- eliminated redundant storage in our compliance product, leading to a 37% reduction in our MongoDB database size.
- created an automated process to remove expired or un-actionable bills from our Bill collection, reducing the collection size by 23%
- used the Atlas Performance Advisor to identify non-performant queries across legacy products, then refactored, improved, or removed non-performant queries. This led to a significant performance and speed improvement across all products.
- led an investigation into service-wide intermittent 502 issues, resulting in our team discovering and fixing a glaring bug with a 3rd-party service.
- introduced automated test coverage to a legacy system wrapping our MongoDB access, leading to safer refactoring and bugfixes on this core service. Created example tests for future developers to use as a guideline as they make their changes.
Led a talk on observability at Papaya, exposing areas of our application that lack observability and ways we can improve (and find time to improve) observability by more effectively using our alerting and logging software.
Worked with the operations team to re-design core pages on our admin portal, resulting in easier onboarding for manual operators and faster bill payments.